Sunday, February 15, 2009

Now add a drop of terror...

Okay...So I was going to avoid changing the dressing on that toe until the doctor could see it tomorrow. Due to plumbing issues in the apartment above mine, I stepped into my bathroom and ended up soaking my left sock. That meant I had to change the bandage, and fast.

What greeted me when I saw my big toe scared me to tears. The end of the toe is swollen and mostly red, with the exception of some of the skin, which is so white it looks as thought blood hasn't been flowing to it at all. I was also hit with the smell of rotting cheese...a sign that gangrene is setting in.

My immediate thought was to get my ass to a hospital RIGHT NOW! The problem with that is that I've been eating all day, and if I needed surgery, they'd have to wait many hours before they could do anything. On top of that, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Going to the hospital this very moment would make no difference between today and tomorrow, so I'm starting to get ready for the worst.

The worst is that I land in the hospital and need to have the toe removed. That may mean a few days in the hospital as well. I need clothes for that. I have a bag that is mostly packed with what I'll need. My alarm is set for 7:00 AM. I'll wake, rapidly do some laundry, and by the time I'm done, I should be able to call the doctor and tell him I'm coming in right away. I'll bring the bags with me, just in case. And as I head for the doctor's office, I'll stop at a neighbor's place and hand over my apartment keys so someone can care for Nike and collect my mail.

I hope to G-d I don't have to have this toe removed. But for those who follow this blog and worry about me, I thought you should know about this growing emergency.

No comments: