Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'll see your 9.4 and raise you two antibiotics.

So, as I've told you folks, I have two doctors: Dr. M and Dr. G. For over a year, these are the two guys I've seen every month.

"Every month?" you ask in surprise. "Rob/Bor...Isn't that a lot of times to visit a doctor?"

As a matter of fact, it is. Most doctors would only see a patient with diabetes as brittle as mine around three months at a time, perhaps stretching it to every six months. However, in an effort to keep a strict handle on my pain meds, I have to see the doctors more often than that. Be it by law or by ethical values, my doctors don't put refills on my pain meds. This ensures that I'm not going crazy with the narcotics.

If you kids also read my last post, you know that I was supposed to see the doctor on Thursday, but was turned away for having arrived 14 minutes late. An irritation, to say the least, and downright stupid at the most. In fact, the receptionist was somewhat afraid of me when I signed in; I was apparently THAT angry when I was there last.

Well, I went to the doctor today, and to my surprise, I saw a doctor whom I'd never seen professionally. Dr. R and I have kibitzed a bit. Since we're both Jewish, we've been able to toss a few ethnic jokes at one another, and actually have the other understand the jokes! Today, however, he saw me as a doctor, and he was all geared up to yell at me for the 9.4 hemoglobin A1c. "You're diabetes is out of control, and - " That's where I cut him off.

Before I go on, you should really read up on what a glycated hemoglobin is about. You can go here for the "simplest" explanation. To summarize, a diabetic really wants an A1c result between 6 and 7. When I started seeing these doctors, I was, as I'd joke, "a perfect 10." Over the year and a half I've been seeing these guys, I got as low as 8.2. Recent blood work revealed I'd jumped up to 9.4. Not good.

So there was Dr. R, all set to give me what for, and I asked him to pause a moment and listen. "I wish I had my medical records from when I was 20 years younger, as they would prove how seriously my diabetes responds to infection." I pointed to my left big toe, which I'd exposed for him to see. "You'll notice the red, bulbous nature of my big toe. That's an infection. Because I have an infection, my diabetes has been out of control. Because my diabetes is out of control, the infection won't heal properly. And because I have an infection, my diabetes is out of control. With my diabetes out of control...Can you see where I'm going with this?"

Indeed, he could. Most astoundingly, he actually took the time to talk to me about my medical issues. This was vastly different to the treatment I get from Dr. M and Dr. G. Those two rush through my visits, writing prescriptions swiftly and dismissing me like I'm a bothersome gnat. Dr. R and I discussed my lab results, with my liver showing no abnormalities, and my kidneys appearing to be a minimal risk if at all. As for the infected toe, he prescribed two antibiotics and told me to return in 10 days for a follow-up visit. He also refilled my percocets, and gave me a prescription for diabetic footwear.

There is a small, added adventure to this grand outing today. Thanks to my messed up feet, going out is no easy feat. Rather than run all over the place, I went to the pharmacy right next to the doctor's office, rather than head for my regular pharmacy. The big issue is the quantity of percocet. I'm given 150 at a time, and because it's such a popular medication, I run the risk of going to a drug store and them not having it on hand. Well, the store next to the doc had it, so I dropped off all of my prescriptions there. (Except the shoes, which I need to have put together at an orthotics lab.) Once I had my meds, I made the trek home...

...and found a message waiting for me when I got here. The pharmacy gave me the wrong painkillers. Instead of the 10/325 dose that was ordered, I'd been given a bottle full of 5/235. Before I could call the pharmacy, they called again. The pharmacist on duty told me that he would be coming to my home to make the exchange, instead of making me schlep all the way back to them! That, my friends, is good service!

So...That's that. I'm off to rest up a bit, and wait for the pharmacist to come by around 8:30 tonight. Here's hoping they don't botch this up further, or I'm going to have all kinds of issues.

1 comment:

Zeb The Troll said...

It's always nice to see someone taking responsibility for their mistakes, at least.

Hope you're doing well, Rob.