Friday, July 3, 2009

And then my brain said...

Well, kids...It's the 3rd of the month. That means it's errand day. Much to my "enjoyment," I didn't sleep AT ALL last night. So I was out the door by 7:30 this morning. A truly rare event for the likes of me. I was so early that the bank wasn't open when I got there, and so went and tried to do my monthly shopping for various things, only to discover only 50% of my needs were awaiting at Wal-Mart.

Now, I made a BIG mistake when I left my apartment. I thought, I'll forgo my CAM walker, that big Velcro contraption that keeps pressure off my big toe, and just bring my cane, which I'll use *IF* my foot starts to hurt. (Can I get a "DUH" from the audience?) By the time I was done shopping, and on my way to the bank to get my rent, I was praying my feet would simply explode so I could be done with them.

Hobbling slowly across the parking lot, under the increasingly hot sun of a typical Phoenix day, I started thinking about my upcoming birthday. Forty-three. Oh, how the years have passed! It seems just last year I was only 41, and now...

WAIT A FREAKIN' MINUTE!!!

Let's see. We take 2009, and subtract 1967. Does that equal 43 for ANYONE?!?

For reasons beyond my understanding, I have spent most of the past year believing I'm 42. And today, less than a week before my birthday, I come to the realization that I am, in fact, 41, and will be 42 on 9 July. Perhaps this is G-d's way of letting me have a "do over." "Here, Rob...Have your 42nd turn around the sun just once more. Try to get it right this time."

And instead of being depressed that I was living the year of being the answer to the ultimate question about life, the universe, and everything, only to realize it weeks before my Womb Liberation Day, I now get to look forward to an entire year of being the aforementioned answer.

I'm off to elevate my feet above my apartment, in the hopes the swelling and pain goes away. By all means, celebrate my genius without me. I'll still be this smart when I get back.

2 comments:

BlackFox said...

HOLY CRAP :D
Bor is quite obviously the answer to the great question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
So tell me, answer man, what is the easiest way to *gets assaulted by mice*

Arguskos said...

You know what's strange? You are the same age, nearly exactly, as my father (he's 42 as well, but he's a few months older). That's a bit eerie.

Hey, at least you aren't 43. I've been told it's a terrible age. ;) Besides, 42 is the perfect number, as BlackFox mentioned.