Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Three-Day Trip

That's right, kids...I'll be out of town for the next three days...ummm...kinda. I'll be traveling to Rhode Island...without ever leaving my apartment. And if that males absolutely no sense whatsoever, don't panic. Because I'm not even sure exactly where on Rhode Island I'll be. That is, I know where I'll be, but I couldn't possibly tell you where to find it on a map.

Actually, I can. If you bring up a map of Rhode Island, you'll notice the southeastern area almost appears to be coming apart...like the State is disintegrating. Well, smack in the midst of all the water is a fictional land mass that makes up Paragon City, also known as the City of Heroes!

I mentioned in my last post that I foolishly spend $15 on time for City of Heroes/Villains (CoX), the only superhero MMO out there at the moment. (Champions Online is due to be released anywhere between now and 1 September.) One of the lures that made me do so was this coming weekend...IT'S DOUBLE-XP WEEKEND! Yes, boys and girls...Twice a year, CoX hands out double the rewards to characters, starting at 9:00 AM on Friday, and ending at 9:00 PM Sunday. It's going to be complete madness.

You see, it's more than just a chance to get a character from level 1 to level 50, the maximum, in a day. There's other STUFF to be had! A prime example of this is in-game money. There are actually three types: Influence, Infamy, and Prestige. Influence and Infamy are basically the same, except that they apply to heroes and villains respectively. This is the "money" that belongs to individual players. Prestige is the "money" a super group earns when players activate "super group mode," and then they engage in combat/missions. Now is the time to cash in...

...provided one can log on. This is the "madness" part. CoX actually becomes so busy during these two weekends out of the year that servers actually become FULL! This kinda sucks, especially when one's favorite character is on one of the more popular servers.

So...Barring emergencies or accidents, I'll be in my apartment, and on vacation. Some people might find it odd that I enjoy fighting crime so much that I consider it a hobby, but I don't see any of YOU becoming brave enough to don tights (a brave act unto itself) and taking on the Skulls, or the Hellions, or the Trolls, or the Circle of Thorns, or the Carnival of Shadows, or the Council, or the Devouring Earth! Someone's gotta do it, and it might as well be some disabled guy in AZ!

1 comment:

Zeb The Troll said...

Indeed, my evenings are typically spent driving a character who wears a dress and wears a crown, waves around a fancy stick and MELTS YOUR FACE OFF with it. 8-)

Call me a sissy ONE MORE TIME. /hancock mode

My MMO of choice is based on the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Probably not much of a surprise that I prefer swords and sorcery to tights and lasers, I guess. I was never really a comic book kid growing up and things like D&D and Lord of the Rings always had greater appeal to me.

It makes me wonder at times. I mean, I know I'm not the only person like this. There's a SciFi network, why not a Medieval/Rennaissance fiction network? You know, it would show movies like the D&D movie (so we all reminded WHY no one makes D&D movies) and things like LotR, Princess Bride, and Dragonheart!

WHERE'S MY CHANNEL!?

8-D