Monday, October 19, 2009

Ohhh, that's right! I have a blog!

Sorry I've been MIA, folks. I've been posting on GitP now and again, replying e-mails as necessary...and trying to get my life in working order.

In terms of that last, I paid a visit to the local welfare office. From what I'd been told, it would be a one-day event that got me what I needed, right then and there. Nope. I filled out the forms, dropped them off, and was told they'd be in touch in up to 45 days. Wait...45 days?!? Yep...45 days. So I play the waiting game. While I was there, I made it clear that I was still technically receiving benefits from AZ, to which they claimed I should cancel that; I wouldn't get KS benefits until that happened. I clarified, making sure they understood I was only receiving medical benefits, to which I was told, "Oh...then you should be fine."

Not so fast, Monkey Boy! Within a couple of days, I was staring at a letter from DES saying, "We hear you may have moved from AZ. Please let us know so we can put a stop to your benefits." This comes with the realization that my morphine will run out at the end of this week. Joy.

In other news, Cody, computer geek extraordinaire, has looked inside the guts of my five-year-old Dell and proclaimed it an ancient artifact that could be worth millions to a museum. (I wish!) The original idea was to take what I have and simply upgrade various parts. He jotted down various serial numbers, searched for them online...and discovered that NONE of them could be found any longer. They are so obsolete that information on them is not even worth storing anywhere on the web.

The other realization is that a Dell system is going to demand Dell replacement products at a Dell price. I might find better parts at a lower price, but my resident techie can't put them in because every port and connection in originally made by Dell.

The verdict? Start from scratch. Why? Well, one of my great issues over the years is that the casing for my computer has little ventilation. While running City of Heroes on my system with the case intact would result in the video card overheating, and my screen would go black. Ray and Cody's computers are these neat little boxes, far more squat than what I've ever seen, with plenty of ventilation on all sides. That, all by its lonesome, is reason enough to start from scratch.

Thus, the building begins...in a couple of weeks. The general concept is that I wait until the end of each month to see where I stand in terms of finances before deciding to blow a few hundred dollars on parts. Thanks to my buddy Thanatos, I already have one fifth of the overall cost on hand, but remain leery of blowing the money until I see what's what at the end of the month.

Speaking of money, I have to stop acting like I have loads of that green stuff. Here it is, the 19th of the month, and I have about $400 in the bank. I shock to my mind, I assure you. But I have to stop buying this for the house, and that for the house, and getting the occasional gift for my housemates...It's nice. And it's my way of showing how thankful I am for taking me in like this. At the same time, I am not made of money, and I'll soon be facing that uncovered 20% of doctor visits and meds, once AZ receives my reply that I have, in fact, moved on.

I suppose there's one other thing I should mention...I have registered with www.okcupid.com. As I'm not meeting with a great deal of success in meeting someone offline, I figured I might as well try online...again. As usual, I'm being horrifically honest. But then, it seems unfair to me to start getting to know womeone, start developing feelings for them, then meet, and - SURPRISE! - I show up hobbling on a cane, my gut showing the signs of sitting around for all these years, and have some poor woman screaming for the hills.

I'll try to keep you kids posted on my adventures there. As of today, I sent off one note to a lovely woman in the hopes of breaking the ice. I'm off to see if there's a rejection letter awaiting me.

Be well

1 comment:

Zeb The Troll said...

Rob, if I understand your post correctly, your "techie guy" has no idea what he's talking about. Dell does not now and has not ever used proprietary ports, connections, or parts. I have been in the desktop support business for nearly ten years now, and a hobbyist before that. In that time I've owned and supported literally hundreds of Dells, Compaqs, HP's and other various and sundry computer systems (yep, even Macs from before they were cool). If you give me a service tag number (normally on the side of your computer) I can go to Dell's website and tell you exactly what components came with the original computer and even suggest upgrades that may or may not be worth the money.

This being said, the age of your system may indeed indicate wholesale replacement and a somber playing of Taps at dusk, but not for the reasons you've listed here. Those reasons don't exist.

If you would like, I can also take the information from your service tag number and see just how much of an upgrade you need and make suggestions (even supplying you with part numbers if you'd like) for upgrading/rebuilding within a budget you specify.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

~Zeb