Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Hugger's Fate

Some of you may remember that a year ago, I ran into problems with my old super group on City of Heroes. Thanks to the folks at NCSoft, my two big main characters were moved, and I began my heroic life online anew.

But what ever happened to the New Paragon Floor Huggers?

Well, from what I can see, the group has come undone. Their forums, which was once a main way of staying in touch, has been all but abandoned. Various messages there state that people are finding less and less time for what was once their favorite game. And, having snuck onto the old server to see where they stood in the top 100 super groups, I noticed that they'd fallen off the list completely.

Not to get all "I'm so great that the universe stops to let me cross the street" on you folks, but it would seem that they managed to kick the guy out who not only FOUNDED the group, but was the glue that held it together.

I was once so proud of that little creation. We were known for numerous reasons. Our uniforms, our players, our friendliness. I was the one that warned them not to become a clique. It's a game, and good games are meant to be played with all the kids on the block, and not just the ones you like the "mostest." Did they listen? Apparently not. In fact, they ignored me to the point of forming a clique within the group. A small group of snobs who believed they were better than me in all ways. When I wanted to invite someone to the group because they were fun to group with just once, others would claim that we required a few more nights of missions with them before they invited anyone. And G-d forbid a young teenager wanted to join. Oh, there were riots with some of the members, especially about the lack of maturity. And when I suggested we could possibly teach younger players a few things - be like mentors - the response boiled down to, "I don't have the inclination to teach anyone anything."

There was a time when I called those people my friends. We certainly had some laughs. Eventually, however, the group became everything I tried to avoid. The game became "work." And they "fired" me. Lo and behold, the group rapidly started coming apart.

Well, as the saying goes, "Karma's a bitch."

1 comment:

Zeb The Troll said...

I can certainly sympathize with the woes of guild leadership. Though what happened to us bears little resemblance to what you describe here, we were still dismayed when everything we'd worked to build came tumbling down around our ears.

Everything was running fine, our alliance was doing well and we were being looked up to. Then we took a week off, with notice beforehand even, to have a baby. When we came back, we barely even recognized the place. Infighting, turmoil, drama of all sorts. It was too much. (See Alarra's blog for some of what happened.)

We quit the game cold and moved on to another. It's not as satsifying in any way. We're still kind of hoping that what we're looking for will be there in the new game by the time we hit endgame content but we don't have as much time to nurture it as we used to, so who knows when that will be.

We're still trying to find our niche, too. We don't want to be guild leaders in the new game because of the lack of time we have (and because we're still stinging from the last go at it). But we're having a hard time finding a guild that would be a good fit for us. Everyone seems to only want elite players and we are not that. We're not even hardcore.

Oh well. It'll fix itself eventually.