Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Post-Surgical Post

Ow. Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow. Typing doesn't feel that great either, although I am only using one finger and my thumb. I'm also sitting back, away from the keyboard, arm propped on my knee, as bending at the elbow or just trying to hold my arm up on its own is incredibly difficult. I'm typing very slowly. And even if I did none of this, I'd be sitting here and moaning, "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow."

The surgery went fine. I was rather surprised to have the doc come see me AFTER I was conscious. They usually try to chat with me while I'm still mostly out of it. He told me that the nerve was really entrenched, and was able to lift it out and settle it in a much better place. All should be well, or at least better, once I've healed up from the surgery.

Little laugh after the surgery...I don't remember the first exchange between me and the post-op nurse, but the second had me chuckling. The nurse apparently came back around to ask how my pain was now. Now? I wondered. Did I tell you how my pain was before? Apparently I had, as I immediately answered with with my default. On a scale of one to ten, my pain was a seven. "Oh, good," she replied. "It's down from the 26 you were before."

My immediate concern is the amount of swelling in my hand. I can't help but wonder if the bandages are on just a wee bit too tight. If it starts REALLY bothering me tonight, which it isn't thus far, I'll call my doctor's emergency line. Otherwise, I'll call tomorrow during office hours.

The other "fun" aspect of post-surgery is my inability to move my fingers without my forearm aching. This accounts for the way Im typing. At this moment, my wrist is resting on my knee, and I've been repositioning my knee to bring my index finger over the keys I need. My thumb has been using the Shift key as needed.

Even with these precautions, I don't have much left in me. I just wanted to stop in and give a report on my current status to any and all who use this blog to look in on me. Becky has already received as much of an update as I could give on Skype.

My painkillers are starting to work, so I'm off once more to attempt to rest. Be well, all.

No comments: