Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Pre-surgical Post

Second post in the same day, but I just wanted to pop in and remind folks that I may go silent for a bit, what with the doc operating on my left elbow.

What's he doing exactly? The way I understand it, my ulnar nerve has become entrapped. It's a common enough occurrence. Moreso in diabetics, I'm told. The doc will open up a long incision, lift the nerve, place it somewhere where it'll be free once more, and close me up. The hope is that when I'm fully recovered, the nerve will be sending the proper messages back and forth to the brain, and the muscles in my hand will start to rebuild...provided they're not completely destroyed by now.

For all I know, I'll be able to type with just a little maneuvering of the keyboard. Then again, I might have issues moving my fingers, especially after the doc has futzed with a major nerve pathway. I don't know. I mean, I was surprised to discover I could limp about after knee surgery without severe pain, so I just may be able to write an entire novel tomorrow evening.

So, should I be absent for an extended period, you folks are hereby commanded to BE WELL! =)

No comments: