Sunday, July 11, 2010

How Rob broke Rob

Ray figured it out yesterday morning. His logic is far from flawed, which is a pleasant change in my life. Oh, that's not to say Ray's logic is flawed frequently. It's a human thing. People often speak "the facts" using flawed logic, which often has me walking away with the thought, You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

On his way to the kitchen to grab some breakfast, he paused to ask if there was anything he could do for me. Time spent off my leg is valuable time. He also asked how I was feeling, to which I said that I just seemed to be having an incredibly difficult time getting over this knee surgery. Yesterday morning, I'd spent several hours trying to continue sleeping between 7:00 and 11:00 AM, but was dripping with sweat and shivering uncontrollably. When I checked for a fever, my temp was 98.3 F. I couldn't figure it out.

So Ray asked a question. "Have you ever had surgeries this close together, back-to-back?" The basic answer was, "No." I came close, but I'd never had one surgery, and then another exactly four weeks later. Ray's theory, which is quite sound, is that I have pushed my body to its limits, and now I'm paying for it.

My body is already immuno-suppressed by almost 36 tears of diabetes. It has a hard time fighting off every little germ that enters, and infections of all sorts are common. Put simply, my body is ALWAYS fighting one thing or another. Then I asked it to heal from my arm being sliced open. It's only a 15 cm. incision that didn't go that deep. But once my ulnar nerve was freed, it kept snapping back into the place where it was trapped. Using some interior suturing and my bodily tissues, the doc crafted a sling for the nerve inside my arm so it would stay put. It should be no surprise that my arm still hurts, but the pain is minor.

Now I've spent yet another hour on the operating table, this time with three incisions...although all three combined aren't as long as the one on my arm. A large tear in my medial meniscus was repaired, as well as the cleaning up of some arthritis. (I have to ask, but I'm wondering if the jagged bones didn't tear the meniscus.) It's easy to avoid using an arm. When it comes to avoiding the use of a leg, now you have a an entirely new task on hand. Even using muscles to hold it off the floor, and thereby avoid using the leg can affect the knee.

The arm...the leg...It's all too much for my body to handle. Thus, my body is going haywire, vacillating between being too hot and too cold, perpetually wanting to sleep, (although that may be the pain meds), and not being particularly hungry.

Add to this a spectacular act of dumb on my part. My nerves were so frayed prior to this surgery that I was occasionally forgetting to take my psych meds. Until yesterday, I was so preoccupied by the surgery itself that I failed to take them altogether. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...Three days without them. If the affects didn't wear off completely, they're close. So now my brain has to start adjusting to the meds all over again. It's truly brilliant, I tell you!

Well...I have been sitting at my computer for about an hour, reading the news and crafting this short post. My leg is telling me it's time to rest again, and so I'm off. Be well, all.

No comments: