Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well, something is afoot...

...with my foot, but my new podiatrist isn't sure what.

As previously posted, I'm having an issue with my right foot. I was positively enormous on Friday, and it didn't seem to be improving with time. I made the decision to call my regular doctor on Monday. But when my alarm went off yesterday morning, I noticed the size of my foot had decreased. So I went with my original plan.

What was the original plan? Believe it or not, I'd created "an event" for 18 October on my cell phone's calendar to call a podiatrist. And I did this over the weekend BEFORE my elbow surgery. Well, now I had even more cause to call, other than simply wanting my feet examined. Usually, when one calls a specialist, there's a few weeks between the call and actual appointment. But I'd used the magic words. "I'm a diabetic." That got me an appointment for today, and I'm here to tell you...

..that he's not sure what's going on in my foot, but doesn't seem to be overly concerned.

He started with an examination of my right foot, feeling around for trouble. I was, in fact, experiencing minor discomfort along the arch of my foot, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I could only declare it a 2 at the most. He then got out an instrument that was basically a small "hair" made of plastic, and asked me to close my eyes. "Tell me when you feel it touching you," he said, and proceeded to poke me with it. Of the dozen or so times he touched my foot, I felt it twice. This means that my neuropathy has progressed to the point where I have almost NO surface sensation. None. He could probably have cut my skin with a razor and I wouldn't have felt it. But I knew that. This was just for his confirmation.

His next step was to have his staff take some x-rays of my right foot. Once those were developed, he reviewed them with me. That is, we examined them together...like I could really contribute to any pending diagnosis. While the pictures didn't reveal any reason for the mysterious swelling, it did show a few things of which I was unaware.

The first is that I have osteoarthritis right around the talus, the bone that connects the foot to the lower leg. I assume it's the talus, as it's the one closest to the area that the doctor pointed out to me. At no time did he tell me the severity of the arthritis; he simply told me it's there, which is a huge "thrill" for me.

The other thing his x-ray revealed is that the osteomyelitis I'd had all those years ago in my third metatarsal also extended into the second metatarsal. The "head" of both bones is malformed, which explains why I experience such great discomfort in the middle of my right foot at all times. As far as I know, there's really nothing that can be done for that.

So things haven't really changed, other than the fact that me fears have been reduced. Since I have an MRI of my right foot scheduled for 2 November, the doctor has asked that he receive a copy of it so he can see the more detailed pictures. An x-ray doesn't reveal vascular issues or soft tissue damage, so hopefully the MRI will give a better idea of what's going on in there.

In other news, my arm seems to be healing fairly well. The horrific bruising that surrounds the incision is FINALLY turning somewhat yellowish, indicating that it's getting better. I even took a shower today. (Technically, I could have taken one yesterday, but wanted to give the surgical site one more day of healing. My only complaint right now if that the incision stings quite a bit. Until now, the pain's been minimal. Now it's becoming tender to the touch. There's no indication of infection, so my guess is that I'm pulling on the stitches inside as I heal.

There's not much else to report at the moment. I'm pretty tired, what with waking up at the ungodly hour of 8:00 AM today. I prefer to be up each day at the crack of noon. =P Thus, I'm off to nap.

Be well, all.

No comments: