Monday, January 17, 2011

The 4th Housemate

Okay...the plan was for me to move out in March, and then this guy, Nick, would move in. Not only would he take my place, but he would actually pay rent. (Ooh. Ahh.) I don't live rent-free, exactly, but there has been a lesser demand placed on me than someone who can, say, work. I buy food. I help with the occasional crisis when I can, (and can't during the current one of having no refrigerator). I also buy what supplies are shared when I can, that being cat food, paper towels, and the like.

Alas, Nick was placed in a situation that he never really wanted to be in. He was living with his girlfriend, and the relationship became untenable. As I understand it, she was so selfish that he could no longer stand to be in the same place as her.

Starting last night, Nick has begun crashing on our couch. The reason being that, as of right now, he has nowhere else to go. Sure, he could go back to his parents...but their place is under repair for a burst water pipe. So this is going to be...fun? I mean, four people in a trailer built for three. Yay?

No sooner had I started typing this post than Ray walked in to inform me of the change. Truthfully, I thought it rather obvious, and had given my blessings to the venture last night. I was in a situation where I had nowhere to go myself just over a year ago. Thankfully, Siege and company came to the rescue. Since I am now part of "and company," there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to offer similar aid.

I went into the living room, where we completed our conversation about Nick joining out merry band of...whatever we are. Now, it's been Cody's job to make the occasional Jewish joke. They are usually as bad as the worst Jewish joke I've ever told. (I never told it here, although perhaps one day I shall.) Anyway, Ray was curious as to whether or not I'd become or maintained my mental agility, having been around people who constantly toss one-liners at me. I stated that I was occasionally taken off guard by things I simply didn't expect, to which Cody replied, "Like the Holocaust?"

*wince* He got a decent talking to from me, although Ray and I were too busy laughing.

So this is the madhouse Nick will be joining. Here's hoping he can survive living in the madness instead of just visiting it every now and again.

No comments: