Monday, February 21, 2011

Mystery solved

This recovery from surgery has been too smooth. Sure, the incisions became infected, but that's par for this particular course. Beyond that, there doesn't seem to be much pain, and my mobility is almost back completely. The surgery was all of 12 days ago, and I've been able to walk without aid or a significant limp for the last few days. (If I do limp, it's because of pain in my right foot.) So I had to wonder, what on Earth did the doctor do in my knee, if anything at all?

(Oh, sure...Just stepped away from my computer, and to make me a liar, my knee cried out in a bit of pain.)

Anyway, today was my followup appointment, in which sutures were removed and questions were asked about my recovery. This was all done by the nurse. As luck would have it, however, the doctor was at the front desk, working on a few files. So I flat out asked him, "Did you actually DO anything in there?"

As a matter of fact, he did. Some of the cartilage was torn, and I believe he said a tendon or two had apparently been roughed up. He went in and cleaned up the mess. Either he's VERY good at his job, or it wasn't nearly as messy as I thought. Ego demands that he take credit for it, which he did.

That, of course, kicked open the door for me to make my bad jokes. "Y'know, if a stranger knocked me out and cut me up, I'd file assault charges. Instead, I pay you to do the same thing." (Insert doc chuckling.) "It's kind of depressing that I've needed surgery four times since last May, and all of them by you. At this point, I own 25% of your life. Your house, your car, your kids' educations..."

I was getting into the flow of my little monologue, when the doc interrupted me right at that point. He said, and this is an exact quote, "I'll let you know if I need anything else."

That was it. He'd won. The very concept that I should run out and injure myself so he might buy a new flat screen TV was too funny for me. I was done and on my way.

So...without stitches to pull, I've been moving around a lot, and I'm discovering my knee remains a bit tender. Like when I received the nerve block on my foot, I think I shouldn't overdo it right now. My plans of continuing to pack this week...will have to wait until next week. Better to take it easy and heal properly than stress the knee and make it bad all over again.

And that's it for now, folks. DFTBA!*

*DFTBA is something I recently picked up online. It's a phrase used by nerd-fighters all over the world, and I'm in the process of adopting it. It stands for "don't forget to be awesome." And none of us should. =)

No comments: