Thursday, March 24, 2011

More...

More than I can do. More than I should do. More than I've done in recent years. This seems to be the theme of my life of late, and yesterday was a prime example of what "more" I've been doing.

Becky had the day off from work, so when she came home from school, we went to Walmart to get a few things we needed, such as a couple of storage containers to go under our night tables. We don't have night stands with drawers in them, and the tables next to our beds were looking like the places where they catch the bombs. (Cookie for the reference. =P ) So we needed the containers, as well as those things that would complete the assembly of her computer. We thought there would be a way to hook up her computer to our television, but were missing a vital cable for that. Not knowing what cable to get, Becky decided to simply buy a flat screen. Such a screen would need a desk to rest upon, and she would then need a chair to sit at said desk.

Look...we needed stuff, okay? Don't judge me! (No idea where that came from.)

So we headed off to Walmart, where we walked the entire length of the store for everything that wee needed. Electronics, food, and furniture...We were all over the place. Thankfully, she knew where everything was, so we had to do no backtracking.

This was nothing unusual, except for the fact that I didn't have my crutches or cane with me. I've been having issues with such walking aids. My hands FEEL weak, like they can't commit to the task for very long. Instead, I've chosen to limp along slowly, coping with whatever pains may come until I was home and could medicate the agony away.

When we got home, we unloaded the car...and faced the nightmare that was the growing disaster area of an apartment. Mind you, it's not that bad, yet. But it seems to be trying to get there. And before Becky could put her desk together, as well as her computer, we had to do a little cleaning and organizing.

The rather unusual part of cleaning is that a greater mess needs to be made to make things neater. Those things that need to be kept and put away properly need to be set aside, while garbage needs to be thrown away. The garbage bag somehow gets underfoot and often confused with other bagged goods, especially when stored goods are in shopping bags that look just like the makeshift garbage bag. Then there's the assembly of the desk, which becomes its own little disaster as everything is unloaded from its original box.

I helped in the process of cleaning. I finally took our vacuum, which was bought the day after I arrived, out of its box so we could use it. I did a bit of sweeping. I took my computer apart so that we could move it and organize the cables between our two machines. (Thanks, Cody, for building Becky's awesome computer...and for the laugh provided by the wallpaper you put on it. Hehehehe.) I even helped Becky move her fully loaded book shelf, which isn't that big or heavy, across the apartment to a better spot; the lifting wasn't an issue, but moving with bent knees was.

All of this was more than what I was accustomed to. And with the weather being cold with "wet from the skies" predicted, almost every joint that has been damaged over the years was chock full of complaints. By 8:00 PM, when we were as done as we were going to be, I was done myself. I'd engaged in more activity that I had in many years, and no part of me was happy about it. Thus, today is my day of rest. With the exception of a few minor tasks, I ain't doing nothing but sitting on my tuchas and playing games or watching DVDs.

I'm sure there's more on my mind. I just can't think of it right now. So be well, my friends, and DFTBA!

No comments: