Friday, April 8, 2011

Young is, in fact, young

Dr. Young, that is. I think that if he lacked facial hair, I would have been asking if he was even old enough to be skipping high school classes. "You should stay in school and at least try to get your high school diploma."

But I was impressed by his friendly nature, ability to listen and to answer questions. He and his staff were friendly and smiled easily at my lunatic behavior. But the truly important part of the visit was the discussion of my medical needs.

He has no problem with prescribing me my various medications, including the narcotics. When I explained how it was that I was on two different medications for breakthrough pain, he didn't blink, agreeing to give me prescriptions for both oxycdone and dilaudid. And I don't think I properly explained it here, so...I had the knee surgery. I went from being okay to being in a lot of pain. The surgeon wanted to send me to physical therapy three days before I was moving from KS. Since that wasn't going to work, I spoke with my pain doc and explained that even my regular meds weren't enough, and that I could use something extra for said woes. As an added bonus, he could write for extra pain meds, and then I would be someone else's problem. Thus, he wrote a prescription for dilaudid on top of my oxycodone.

Meh. Consciousness is overrated, anyway. =P

Then we briefly discussed my medical issues. This included: the terrible condition of my teeth, my knee, pain management, insulin, retinopathy, neuropathy, Charcot's foot, depression, PTSD, and the possibility that I might have gastroparesis. Ten issues rapidly talked about in my initial visit. And while he agrees that all of these things need to be addressed, they key was maintaining my medication regiment. Thus, I was handed a stack of prescriptions, and I'll go back in a month to further discuss referrals...or something like that.

What actually has me worried the most at this moment is my Charcot's foot. The original thought was that the swelling in my right ankle was vascular. I even bought a $20 pair of compression socks to help. But with every step I take, the join crunches and grinds, and sometimes even hurts. Mostly, if just feels uncomfortable...and some part of my mind believes this is actually BAD. When I say every step brings about the crunching and grinding, I mean EVERY SINGLE STEP! That kind of wear and tear should be more than uncomfortable.

When Becky asked about it last night, I told her that the only treatment I knew of was spending up to six months in a non-weight bearing cast. That pretty much stunned her.

So you're probably wondering why a lack of suffering has me concerned, right? Well, the swelling I'm experiencing has the chance of becoming so great that it chokes off the circulation to my foot altogether. THAT'S the scary part. I keep imagining myself heading intot he shower on some night in the future, only to take my socks off and discover my toes are necrotic.

Worries aside, I'm pleased to announce that I now officially have medical care established here in PA. What happens next? We shall see.

Be well, all, and DFTBA!

No comments: