Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Scattered thoughts

I have a wide range of things on my mind, the least of which is NOT my feet. I went to see my podiatrist today, and pointed to the second toe on my left foot, and said, "That doesn't look good, does it?" He took only a glance before declaring that I needed to get it x-rayed. That will happen tomorrow. And while I'm there, I'll be getting x-rays of my right foot as a kind of followup - make sure things aren't getting worse than they feel.

As an added bonus, the doc decided to dig into the "suspicious area" of the left foot's second toe, just to see what would come out. As we'd hoped, it was just blood. But since the entire toe appears discolored and swollen, he wants a peek inside. I like this response much better than, "Don't worry about it; it's probably nothing." I've heard this too often, and have paid a price for it, also too often.

Meanwhile, in California, our doom has been rescheduled. Harold Camping has decided that he made an error in his calculations. What occurred on the 21st was a "spiritual Rapture," and that the Apocalypse will take place rapidly, as opposed to his previous prediction of five months, on 21 October. When I read this absurdity via Terence's FB wall, I posted the response, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'm buying a gun, and will give you a five-minute head start." Not that I expect an 89-year-old to get far, even if I were to give him an hour.

I didn't buy into the whole Rapture thing in any way. Like many, I had a boatload of jokes for it, including the fact that Jews are G-d's chosen people, and that if anyone is gonna get Raptured, it's going to be us first. (I'm also amused at how "Rapture" became a verb in these last few weeks.) The best seemed to come from my old friend, Terence:
INSTALLING RAPTURE.
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
Install delayed....please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Rapture not found.
EVENT "Rapture" cannot be located. The Rapture you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
That got a good chuckle out of me.

Oh, but what truly gets me is the article from the New York Times. This one here. The third to last paragraph has me thinking that there will certainly be a Doomsday for some people...Like anyone who gave up everything to this non-profit organization in preparation for the supposed Rapture. When I wrote a few days ago about people giving up all of their possessions, I wasn't joking. They gave it all up under the assumption that they wouldn't be needing any of it after 21 May. Now they're the ones in need of charity, and the charity they gave to is turning its back on them.

Is there ANY religion that isn't selfish?

Well, at least there are unselfish people in the world, like Becky and I. You see, that aforementioned doctor's visit...? When I was called back, an elderly gentleman had come out a moment before. He told the receptionist that a ride would be coming for him, and that was that. I was off to the patient room to be treated...or something like being treated.

As we were leaving, we pulled out of the parking lot, turned down the small alley that led back to the roads to take us home, and standing there was the elderly man. Becky was already coming to a stop, when I told her to back up so that I could talk to him. We pulled into another parking spot, and...

Hey, we tried to be nice. When asked if there was a number to call his ride, he said there was, and Becky offered up her cell phone, what with it having unlimited minutes and all, so that he could call. He didn't get an answer, so I kind of volunteered us to give him a ride home. He refused multiple times, stating that he didn't want to be a bother.

But he WAS a bother. That is, his situation bothered me. My guess would be that he was in his very late 60s to mid-70s. He'd wandered about as far as he could go without vanishing from where his ride might see him, and I assume that was due to his impatience and not wanting to sit around all day. The man just wanted to go home And whoever it was that was supposed to provide him with that ride was off somewhere else, doing something else...when they should have sat and simply waited for him to be done with his appointment. Being unwell and having to wait for a ride to bring you back to the comfort of home can be irritating and distressing, all at once. I know because I've been there.

I suggested he go back to the office and sit, where he could at least be off his feet and a bit more comfortable. As we drove off, I noticed he wasn't moving toward the doctor's office. Well, it's like they say: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the old man go back to the doctor's office to sit comfortably to wait for his tardy ride home, and you can't make him accept a ride home just because you want to do good deeds." Mind you, I could have gotten that "old saying" wrong.

Be well, all, and DFTBA!

2 comments:

Zeb The Troll said...

Reading your story about the elderly gent, I have a suspicion there was more going on there than he was willing to admit or talk about. Something like "I don't really have a home to go to" or "I'd really rather not be at home if I can help it". Or maybe "I appreciate the offer, but if I'm not here when my ride DOES show, there'll be hell to pay, nice folks or no". It just seems to me he was a little TOO persistent in turning down aid. I hope for his sake that I'm wrong.

Rob Meadows said...

I certainly hope you're wrong as well, Zeb. Although, to be honest, he really did seem like he simply didn't want to be a bother to us.