Tuesday, June 7, 2011

This raises the possibility...

Allow me to quote the radiology report. Mind you, the time difference between x-rays is from 27 April to 31 May.

FINDINGS: Large amount of soft tissue swelling around the right ankle seen. Advanced degenerative change in the right talonvicular joint seen. There is suggestion of some change in the morphology of the distal talus as well as the navicular bone. This raises the possibility of infection in this region. There has also been some change in the appearance of the distal talus as well as the navicular bone. Some lucencies within both of these bones are noted. This raises the possibility of a possible chronic osteomyelitis.

Old healed fracture deformity of the right third metatarsal bone distally seen.

Translation: Oh, crap...here we go again.

Okay, that's not an exact translation. Let's try that again using online resources, eh?

Large amount of soft tissue swelling around the right ankle seen. Advanced degenerative change in the right talonvicular joint seen. Well, it would certainly help to know what the "talonvicular joint" was, wouldn't it? Here it is now. That would be the very top of my foot, where it attaches to the ankle. There is suggestion of some change in the morphology of the distal talus as well as the navicular bone. Those would be the two bones that make up the talonvicular joint. This raises the possibility of infection in this region. Oh...joy. There has also been some change in the appearance of the distal talus as well as the navicular bone. Some lucencies within both of these bones are noted. I believe that this means they can see through the bones a bit more than they could in the first set of x-rays. It hints heavily at the idea that there's less bone matter to get in the way. This raises the possibility of a possible chronic osteomyelitis. Oh...double-joy. (Old healed fracture deformity of the right third metatarsal bone distally seen. This last line only confirms all the times I've spoken about having osteomyelitis in the past.)

So...this report begs the question: why am I not in the hospital? Well, Charcot's foot has a way of messing with an x-ray, allowing for these types of things to be seen quite often. What looks like osteomyelitis is often just the mess created by all of the micro-fractures occurring in my foot. No need to panic if all of this abnormality is normal, right?

Except that there has been some very specific pain coming from the area that's described. A very sharp, nasty pain. It's one of the key reasons I dread a shower, as staying on my feet for more than five minutes makes me want to weep. And when I pointed this out to the podiatrist, he jumped on the idea of getting a much better look. Thus, I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow afternoon. He even had me get blood work done to be sure my kidneys could handle the contrast that will be used.

As terrifying as all of this truly is for me, that didn't stop me from cracking wise with the doctor. Now that he had the patient in his office, he practically came running to see the foot for himself...as if the possibility of a bone infection would change the exterior. To quote his initial reaction to reading the report, "It made me say 'bwuhuhlaaaagh.'" I actually asked him to spell that for this blog post, to which he could only laugh.

Becky has got to be thinking that I'm either incredibly brave for being able to joke in the face of such scary things, or utterly insane. (Probably both.)

I really don't have much else to report. I mean, I could give a rundown of every joke I made, but my head's a bit fuzzy after taking Xanax to address my anxiety. It's time for this broken diabetic to get more rest. With any kind of luck, my foot is just an incredible mess that only APPEARS to be infected. But I'll be sure to keep you folks posted.

Be well, and DFTBA!

3 comments:

Zeb The Troll said...

Totally unrelated to the content of your post - I thought I'd throw this out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html

8-)

Rob Meadows said...

Really, Zeb. I write all this, and your comment is about my choice of language use? This begs he question: ein gezundt ovf dein pipik? No, really. Mind you, Yiddish does terribly when written with English letters, and I don't know how to take a phrase and use proper grammar to turn it into a question. Still...Should anyone bother to bless your bellybutton? It's like the answer to how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. The world may never know. =P

Zeb The Troll said...

Well, I didn't have anything useful to contribute and I thought I'd at least let you know I was still reading.

Besides, it's not like it's even common knowledge any more so many people use it incorrectly. I only learned the error of my ways about a year ago. It's just one of those interesting things I thought I'd share.

8-D