Thursday, June 9, 2011

X-Men: 2nd class entertainment

It's kind of amazing, really. Becky and I have been together for over a year, and our very first official date was on our one-year anniversary. It's true. We went out to the movies, with her buying the tickets and me buying the munchies. Much to my regret, we saw Thor in 3-D.

So the other day, amidst the worry that I may have a bone infection, I suggested we go to the movies. We could use a second date, as sitting around at home all of the time can start to grate emotionally. Being a pair of superhero geeks meant we could only see one new film: X-Men: First Class. If you haven't see it and plan to, stop reading now, as I'm sure to be spoiling plenty along the way.

It was good. Plenty of mutants doing mutant things. The use of powers is really what we want from every superhero film. Yeah, I could use a good story, but can you have Spider-Man juggle a few cars while he drops some exposition on me? And while it was good...it wasn't great, and opened major plot holes along the way.

MAJOR, MAJOR PLOT HOLES! (Someone was definitely sleeping at their computers while they pretended to write this.)

Going back to the third X-Men movie, which many of us would like to forget, they showed Professor X and Magneto run off to recruit a very young Jean Grey. With Patrick Stewart playing Xavier, he was bald and walking. XFC, however, takes place years before that, during the Cuban Missile Crisis...and shows how Charles lost the use of his legs.

Back in the first movie, Charles explains that Magneto helped him design Cerebro. In this movie, Hank McCoy takes the credit.

The new movie introduced many characters to us, including Emma Frost and a teenaged Cyclops. Neither of them were all that old. But the new movie has Emma wandering around at about age 30. And her diamond skin getting cracked by a metal bed frame...? I know they needed to move the plot along, but that was a pretty hard push.

Introduced in this movie was Havok, AKA Alex Summers, Scott/Cyclops's YOUNGER brother. They made his energy emissions red, which was a nice nod toward them being family, but the vast age difference skewered the whole thing. I mean, the first X-Men movie told us it was taking place in the present. Since the Wolverine tale makes it seem as though mutants were responsible for whatever happened at Three Mile Island, it puts that movie's end in late March of 1979. Topping this off is that the Cuban Missile occurred in 1962, and Havok was brought to us straight from inside a prison, making him an adult to start with.

I understand the desire to take creative license, but die hard fans like myself are only willing to go so far.

When I heard that Sebastian Shaw was going to be a character in this tale, I thought it would involve a criminal mastermind who just happened to be able to convert kinetic energy into raw strength. Instead, he was handed a number of other abilities as well, and was more of a bully than a mastermind.

Aside from my complaints, Xavier and Magneto stole the show. Strong characters with powerful motivations, and frequently using their powers the way anyone with powers actually would. Especially some of the antics of Xavier.

So it was a win/lose kind of movie. If you ignore everything established before, it's very good. But they already revealed parts of the future, making it very easy to create plot holes in a prequel without proper research. With Bryan Singer as one of the story's creators, as well as its producer, you'd think there'd be more of that attention to detail. When you take a good story and two excellent leads, and then create plot holes large enough to drive a truck through them, you get second class entertainment. They could have done better...they just didn't.

Be well, and DFTBA.

1 comment:

"Blue" said...

Actually, I heard that this X-Men movie was a sort of reboot.

I didn't raelly notice the plot holes. I mean... I hadn't watched the X-Men movies in a long while and I didn't care much for that last one, so I forgot most of it anyways.

This movie, though, was of much greater quality. I loved how well-acted it was, especially on the part of the main characters.