Wednesday, August 3, 2011

And now the Foot Report

The pink cast was removed and my manliness came flying back to me. All is well in the universe once more.

X-rays were taken of my foot, and it would seem that everything has moved back to where it should be. There are still micro-fractures in my talus, but that's to be expected. They should heal over time, and thankfully aren't bothering me at the moment.

With everything where it belongs, the doc said it was time to get molds for a brace and diabetic shoes. Becky and I were quite pleased with this news, as it means the whole casting process is almost over. The only problem is that the orthopedic clinic isn't set up for such molding, and I had to make a separate appointment for the molds to be taken on Friday. That means I have a new cast, (a dark purple one this time), that I'll wear for all of two days, which will be cut off, get the molds done, and then a new cast put on again.

"If everything is great, why are you wearing a new cast, Rob?" This is being done to protect the healing that I've done. Without the brace to protect me, I could end up doing serious damage to my foot in the time I'd have to wait for the brace to be assembled. To keep the foot safe and sound, the cast is required.

But, oh, I can't tell you how good it will be to finally be "castless!" No more scraping up my left shin on the rough surface of the cast. No more limited activity. And I'll finally be able to shower without having to completely wrap my right lower leg up in absorbent cloth and garbage bags! I'll be able to shower freely, without having to pull a balancing act. I'LL BE ABLE TO SHOWER!

The time in which I will have to continue wearing the cast all depends on how long it takes to build the brace and the shoes. Once that's done, I'll be a free man...

...until the next arthropathy flareup.

Be well, and DFTBA!

No comments: