Saturday, August 27, 2011

My toe can't make up its mind

Yesterday, my toe was doomed. DOOMED, I TELL YOU! And today, when my podiatrist examined it, it was much better. The x-rays also indicated no signs of osteomyelitis. So surgery is NOT being scheduled, as he wants to give this toe a chance to heal. Mind you, he seems willing to schedule surgery if that's what I want, but because it somehow miraculously started healing overnight, he says we should wait.

Really, what the heck? Has a tiny brain grown inside the toe and started playing head games with me? "First, I'll make him panic. Then I'll give him reason to contemplate surgery. Then, I'll give him hope. But in the end, I will thrust DOOM upon him! (Insert evil laughter.)"

My new instructions are to change the bandage every day, and to followup with the doctor weekly. And after that...I have no idea.

The big change today was that when he probed the wound, he was unable to hit bone. This had the doctor scratching his head in wonder, as my previous posts have all said what he's noted: this thing was only getting worse over time. As to why it's been behaving like a bone infection...? We have a new theory. Y'see, he moved the toe around a bit, and it bent in directions it shouldn't go. Instead of the infection settling into the bone and causing THAT to disintegrate, it seems to have settled into the tendon...destroying that instead.

Also on the list of things that happened today was a great debate about whether or not I should get a new cast. I was sincerely hoping to avoid it. I mean...a shower! A shower without having to wrap the cast in a plastic bag! A shower that wasn't a balancing exercise for my left leg! A chance for Becky and I to...

PG-13...PG-13...PG-13...

He'd changed his mind. I was leaving with a cast, whether I wanted one or not. He offered the chance for a soft cast, and I'd have to wear my CAM walker all the time, or a regular cast. Well, the CAM walker is huge, and would make sleeping difficult. I also confessed immediately, "Put me in a soft cast, and I'm going to end up cheating by removing the CAM walker when I slept or had to shower." And so I was put in a hard cast, with ongoing instructions to stay off it as much as possible.

And I thought this doctor liked me. =(

That's all there is on my end, with one other notable exception. I have numerous friends living in the path of hurricane Irene. Please be safe. If a mandatory evacuation is called for, GO! Don't stay behind because you're afraid someone will loot your stuff, or that you want to protect your stuff from possible flood damage. Stuff can be replaced. You - my friends - can't.

Be well, and DFTBA!

4 comments:

Lynn Werner Saum said...

hey kids ( I feel that by extension, even though she and I have not met in person, Becky is a friend/relative, and since I know you share your posts with her, I might as well do the correct and polite thing and include her in the salutation anyway...) I personally think your toe is really an intergalactic being that is masquerading as your toe, it's mission is unclear, however, like Ford Prefect, as long as it's stuck her it'd going to have some fun (fun for it, mind you, not you) like one day probe goes to bone, one day glory be throw up your hands in praise, it doesn't - scientifically this doesn't make sense, but to the entity masquerading at your toe this is great fun....(or is it obvious that I need way more meds and adult conversation -no Scott doesn't count, can't even start that conversation, I take responsibility for that mess anyway)anyway would you and Becky be comfortable being loosely referred to as Uncle Rob/Aunt Becky? munchkins grabbing for control of laptop losing containment.....danger danger Will Robinson.....

Serpentine said...

Oh geeze, I hate it when wounds do that. My ingrown toenails like to do it: every time I think about taking it to a doctor, it suddenly starts looking like it's getting better, so I put it off for another week by which point I'm limping again. I hope your toe is better behaved than mine.

As an aside, on the matter of Playground dramas: I found the post where she announced her hooking up with her Playground crush. And then the one where she got scrubbed, followed by someone asking whether he should report "posts from an ex". So yeah. Just found it vaguely amusing...

Rob Meadows said...

Serp, I think it best if we all do our best to leave the Playground drama behind us. At this stage, I'm just angry, and an angry Rob tends to say things he may well regret later. (See posts during said drama.)

Meanwhile, the pants, while technically dead, are still serving the purpose of keeping me clothed while I'm forced to wear this infernal cast. But, oh! The pants...the pants... =*(

Lynn: Aunt Rob and Uncle Becky will be just fine. I...wait. Strike that. Reverse it.

What kills me is that there is a grammar Nazi hiding within this Jew, and he wants to know something. How can you be so utterly and completely brilliant, yet incapable of typing using things like proper punctuation and capitalization? You *speak* with punctuation. I can actually hear periods and commas when you talk. But a typed message? What, pray tell, is going on there? o.O

Meanwhile, know that we would love to be included in other families. Becky's is...well, they at least put the "fun" in "dysfunctional," while mine seems to have focused on the "shun" in "dysfunctional."

Always be well, my friends, and DFTBA!

arguskos said...

"grammar Nazi hiding within this Jew"
...
...
...
Never change, Rob. :P