Saturday, October 29, 2011

Wait...REAL human beings?!?

No. No, no, no, no, no. The students and faculty of Patrick Henry High School must be from another planet. Because people don't elect an open lesbian as their homecoming king, nor would they dare to nominate her girlfriend of two years as homecoming queen. Human beings don't do that. It's unheard of to be that accepting.

Isn't it?

It would appear that I'm mistaken. It's happened. For the first time (that I know of), someone who's sexual preferences aren't "normal" is being celebrated by her community in a most normal fashion, instead of being the victim of bullying. My congratulations go out to Rebecca Arellano and her girlfriend.

Now we need to take it the next step. I mean, it's very nice that they chose this girl to be the "king" who welcomes back the high school's alumni, but wouldn't it be even better if they could drop the whole gender-specific title? Why can't Rebecca and her girlfriend be elected "Homecoming Couple?" I mean, if you're going to break with one part of the tradition, why not break with bigger pieces?

I guess we're not there yet.

Meanwhile, this was the first time in a while that I'm seen some actual good news...a story that restores at least a drop of my faith in humanity.

Be well, and DFTBA!

No comments: