Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

A New year's Eve post? Shouldn't I be out partying or something?

Nah. My partying days are far behind me. If we had a greater circle of friends, we might be celebrating with them, but the most Becky and I have encountered at this point are good acquaintances. We came close to making true friends of our neighbors...until they were evicted. So, yeah...not doing so great socially.

Still, Becky and I have one another. We've been officially together for over a year and a half, which is quite the accomplishment. I say this because I don't believe myself to be the best choice when it comes to potential mates. Still, Becky seems happy with me...until we have the occasional falling out. No, life isn't all non-stop bliss here. We have our problems. But we keep working on them, and I think that's why we haven't killed one another...yet.

Looking back over the year, it's been quite a trial for me. Charcot arthropathy has really done a number on me, and the loss of a toe is starting to cost. The remaining toes are realigning themselves to compensate for the loss, and those toes aren't taking the extra workload very well. Thus, it looks like 2012 will have more trials for me.

My current state of being...? Well, it would seem that a recent trip to the market had me also buying a virus. (Actually, I think I got this one for free.) It's depressing to be sick on New year's Eve, and yet, once again, I look forward to my time with my beloved. We really don't have to do anything special. Just having her here is enough. Of course, with me currently being under the weather, I'll likely be declaring that I'm dying, with her scoffing the idea each time. (One day, my love, I'm going to be right! =P )

My one major regret for this past year...? That I seemed to have curled myself into an existential ball and hidden from the world. I stopped working so hard to actually face my issues, and simply let many of them wash over me, allowing me to wallow in self-pity. I guess exerting myself emotionally all of the time has paid a price, and this year was the year for me to settle part of the bill. My emotional crisis helped me to run from GitP. It helped me to shut the door on the last of my family with which I communicated. It's turned me into more of a hermit than ever before, and that's not a good thing in any way.

So...Changes? Perhaps a New Year's resolution? No...It doesn't take one night to see that changes need to be made, and it's not wise to use only one night to make a commitment to make said changes. I'll work on my problems as they come, addressing each as I am up to tackling them.

And so, with the midnight hour approaching, I want to wish all of my friends a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. The short form, as I often say it...? "Be well, and DFTBA!" =)

No comments: